15 Comments

1. said:

Well, it’s a good thing I’ve read more than 1/2 of these books ’cause it’s too late for me! I’ll turn 55 next year. My favorite on the list is the complete A. A. Milne. My husband and I read them together snuggled up in bed with our son. Sweet words and even sweeter memories.

September 21, 2012
  2. said:

MIDDLESEX, by Jeffrey Eugenides (I believe this is the closest we have to a twenty-first century American Epic) AGREED!

September 21, 2012
  3. Nineteen Eighty Four and Remains of the Day are my humble proposals, but this is indeed a great list!

September 21, 2012
  4. Love the List….What about ‘Great Expectations’, Charles Dickens
    I am 31 (I Think). How this happens< I do not know, I grew up without books. My parents didn't own a book shelve (probably bcuz they didn't have any books). No matter!! I am excited about this list of suggestions :) Cervantes, 'Don Quixote de la Mancha; Homer, The Odyssey are some, to name a few, of my favorite Literary Works.

September 21, 2012
    • said:

Love Great Expectations! Wish we could have more than 30 on our list!

September 23, 2012
  5. Some great books on the list, but your best point was the comment about Powell’s in Portland. It is a place I am tempted to take my camping gear to when I visit the Rose City. It is just plain amazing that store.

September 21, 2012
  6. I’ve read ‘To the Lighthouse’, but I wish someone had given me the advice you received.

September 23, 2012
  7. said:

Me and my wife continue to fill our home with books, and it’s comforting to know that our children (7 and 3), after we turn the lights out and say goodnight, often get out of bed to read books to each other well past bedtime. I look forward to one day sharing this story, and our many books, with my children.

September 26, 2012
  8. I was debating whether I’d make it to the library today. This list inspired me to go and get reading, so thanks! If I made a list, I’d include Mouse, even though it’s a graphic novel. So good.
    Now to the library!

October 5, 2012
  9. […] Malia o seu nome, os apuntamentos que máis me interesan polo xeral son os que subscribe The Verbal Vixen, se non estou errado unha muller de letras. Non sei se ela sería a responsable dun que moito me […]

November 28, 2012
  10. said:

This list is great– I am going to get right on it! Personally, I would also add anything by Sharon Creech (especially Walk Two Moons!). Loved the commentary for A Farewell to Arms/ Tender is the Night.

December 17, 2012
  11. “30 Literary Works to Read Before You Turn 30 | THE LITERARY MAN” certainly got me personally
    simply addicted with ur web site! I actuallywill be back again
    considerably more often. Thanks a lot ,Karin

February 6, 2013
  12. Verbal Vixen said:

So great to hear that you enjoy our site, Karin!

July 2, 2014