48 Comments

1. Anonymous said:

No Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy?

October 18, 2011
    • Daren Doucet said:

I would like to add “The Supermarket Guy” Series. It is a odd ball, odd situation comedy.

August 27, 2012
  2. Anonymous said:

Just stumbled across your site today — and I like it.

I think you should consider including Frederick Exley’s “A Fan’s Notes” on your list.
    Some fantastically funny and sad writing in that book.
    Not sure whether you’ve read it, but it would seem to be right up the Literary Man’s alley.

Just remembering it makes me want to read it again.

October 19, 2011
  3. said:

I have to nominate LAMB by Christopher Moore. I never laughed more than when I read that book, the account of the 13th apostle and best childhood friend of JC.
    Now, I know why the bible excluded those years. I wouldn’t do to have the messiah is certain situations. However, it does make him a more likable and human guy!

October 21, 2011
  4. Jesus’ Son? That book was incredibly depressing! I think about those poor baby bunnies all the time. Your other choices though, I have no argument with…..

November 3, 2011
  5. said:

You forgot “The Years With Ross” by James Thurber.I brought the book to work and started reading it in my office during lunch hour. Was laughing so hysterically at the end of lunch that I didn’t notice the first patient of the afternoon until they walked up to my desk and stared at me; this is considered bad form. I had to leave the book at home from then on. It makes me smile every time I look at it.

February 13, 2012
  6. said:

I’d have to add to mine: Still Life with Woodpecker – Tom Robbins. I will have to check out the other choices that I haven’t read yet. Thanks for liking my poem!

February 29, 2012
  7. said:

Thanks for liking my poem, Crossroads! I’ll have to read a few of these before making judgement, I like your blog! Keep up the good work! Randy

March 8, 2012
  8. Well I’d have to say almost anything by Douglas Adams is a scream, so Hitchhiker’s Guide would have made my Top 10 list easily. His lesser known series Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency is just as funny.

March 14, 2012
  9. said:

We have different taste in humor novels, but at least we both like to laugh out loud when reading a good comic novel. It’s fun writing them too.

March 14, 2012
  10. said:

As I was scanning down this list, I was beginning to doubt that Catch 22 was on here, I agree wholeheartedly with the placement of #1, I read that book on a coast to coast tour in a punk band, and everyone in the van always wondered what I was laughing so hard, and I just couldn’t explain it to them sufficiently enough and I couldn’t convince anyone to read it because everyone thought it sounded too bizarre for their liking. I think that book is a true work of comic and philosophical genius.

March 19, 2012
  11. […] in clarity and brevity, but on the other hand we think THE RECOGNITIONS by William Gaddis and CATCH-22 are two of the greatest novels ever written. Maybe we can all agree that there’s only one […]

March 23, 2012
  12. said:

Hi – I’ve just finished Malice in Blunderland by Jonny gibbings, it is without a doubt, the funniest book ever. Just astonishingly, genuinely laugh out loud funny. It is extreme in its dark, explicit and dark humour and just, well, amazing. Mind blowing even. Only problem is it was far too short. Sure to be a cult classic.

March 25, 2012
  13. I have read three of those: ‘Slaughterhouse 5′, ‘Catch-22′ and ‘Lucky Jim’. The book that made me laugh the most is probably ‘Three Men In A Boat’. Some of the work of Louis de Bernieres makes me laugh out loud but is still based on serious subject matter. ‘Decline and Fall’ by Evelyn Waugh is side-splittingly funny in places.

March 26, 2012
  14. scratchatary said:

Great writing…

April 4, 2012
  15. said:

Ooh, this is GREAT! I can see I’ve got some catching up to do on my reading (with the Scariest books, too!)….thanks for checking out my blog!

April 17, 2012
  16. Tom Reeder said:

If you have a taste for dark humor — and with Catch-22 on your list, apparently you do — William Faulkner’s “As I Lay Dying” deserves some consideration.

Maybe Mark Twain didn’t get mentioned because teachers forced us to read his work when we weren’t ready for it, but he wrote some very funny stuff.

April 18, 2012
    • Cricketmuse said:

I agree–MT’s wit certainly has claim on the template for humorous writing.

May 20, 2013
  17. Thanks for liking my poem. For the life of me, I can’t recall one book that I thought was funny enough to make your list. I am going to have to take a serious look at my library and my reading habits.

May 8, 2012
  18. Thanks for liking my recent post. And I’m glad to have stumbled upon your top 10. I have six of the listed in my library; the other four I can’t wait to read and add.

May 24, 2012
  19. Anonymous said:

another vote for Confederacy of Dunces. Walter Percy’s classic Foreward is enough to galvanize anybody — anybody –to do what they have to to get their work into the hands of the person withe right set of. eyes.

May 26, 2012
  20. lesherjennifer said:

“A Mother’s Kisses” by Bruce Jay Friedman deserves a spot at least in the top 20.

June 13, 2012
  21. said:

Glad you gave P.G. Wodehouse an honorable mention! I’d have to add S.J. Perelman’s Eastward Ha! and a Woody Allen book or two.

June 13, 2012
  22. “Lucky Jim” – absolutely. But “Fear and Loathing”? I liked it, but I don’t see how it’s funny unless you think “Naked Lunch” is funny too. Which, in itself, is a funny idea. Which might mean that thinking “Fear and Loathing” is a funny book makes it a funny book. Whoa, just got way to cosmic complicated there.

June 14, 2012
  23. What a great list! Funny is always better. I dig you Hon. Mentioned: Confederacy of Dunces–loved that sausage-vending Ignacius!–also Fear and Loathing and Hitchhiker’s…but the rest are now on my reading list!

July 12, 2012
  24. said:

I’ve read four of the ten, and consider Catch-22 by far the funniest book ever written. I still reread The Soldier Who Saw Everything Twice and Nurse Duckett for a giggle. I would like to nominate Trainspotting by Irvine Welch also for consideration. Great job.

July 12, 2012
    • said:

Trainspotting. GOOD CALL. Thx for the recomm. . .

July 12, 2012
  25. Anonymous said:

Confederate General From Big Sur by Richard Brautigan

July 13, 2012
  26. Anonymous said:

Confederate General from Big Sur. Richard Brautigan

July 13, 2012
  27. I bookmarked this – for movies to make me laugh (can never find any as have watched them all).

July 21, 2012
  28. said:

Thank you for visiting and Liking catnipoflife. Can’t right away recall what I feel might be the funniest book but just this morning I read one of the funniest accounts of a cat’s antics. I am sure there are plenty of books filled to the brim with funny animal stories. C’est le vie! If interested, the side-splitter for today is Living with the Daredevil by Sunni Morris @ http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

July 23, 2012
  29. said:

Haha, Catch-22 is great in so many ways. On practically 9 of 10 high school book recommendations you will find Catch-22. Also, it’s very humorous. But one book is left out, not a classic, but “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian” is one of the best comical books out there. Many awards, best selling, but it does have some harsh topics.

August 14, 2012
  30. Anonymous said:

if you want a funny book than read joan rivers books =)

August 18, 2012
  31. Anonymous said:

tom sharpe brilliant

October 29, 2012
  32. Michael said:

How about The Fan Man by William Kotzwinkle, especially if you’ve lived through those times!!

December 11, 2012
  33. said:

Fabulous list. But…the lack of mention of anything by Christopher Moore here seems a tremendous oversight. l also have a request: I’m dying to see your top ten for science fiction.

December 13, 2012
  34. said:

Had to look and see if Fear And Loathing was on the list. Not list of funniest books that excluded it would be worth it’s salt. Since it was there I will read those on the list that I have not read.

December 19, 2012
    • said:

I re-read Fear and Loathing EVERY single year. And it still makes me laugh out loud. . .

December 19, 2012
  35. said:

Thanks, again, Literary Man! Fear and Loathing. . . I needed to finish it and start again to trust it enough to laugh. Crazy funny.

February 11, 2013
  36. Chris said:

Good to see someone mentions “A Mother’s Kisses.” I add, also by Bruce Jay Friedman, “Stern.” But the funniest novel is “Cards of Identity” by Nigel Dennis

February 25, 2013
  37. Adina said:

Slaughterhouse-Five is a great book.

April 2, 2013
  38. Terence Kuch said:

My favorite funniest books, without a doubt:
    .. The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth
    .. Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis

April 4, 2013
  39. Tarik said:

I haven’t read any of the mentioned books except Catch-22 which is hilarious. If any of the other books are any where close to Catch-22, that would be great. I will start reading the other ones. I think Memoirs of an Antproof Case is pretty funny, and at times sad, book.

December 5, 2014